Built in 1889, the Children’s Museum is housed in the oldest surviving train repair facility in Western Canada and is home to twelve exciting permanent galleries that spark kids’ creative learning. Unlike the no-touch exhibits at other museums, our galleries are always ready for hands-on fun! The latest innovations in education come together at the Children’s Museum with creative environments to provide a powerful learning experience that entertains as it educates.
With innovative travelling exhibitions and a variety of drop-in programs, workshops and special events, the Children’s Museum is a great place for the whole family.
Click here to open a new window with a Google map of The Forks area.
The Children’s Museum is located at The Forks, in the heart of downtown Winnipeg. There is excellent public transit service via Winnipeg Transit to The Forks site, as well as a combination of daily, hourly, and free three-hour parking – including identified handicap stalls close to all facilities – for Forks visitors (as indicated on The Forks Map). Bicycle commuters can find free bicycle parking at a number of locations around The Forks, as indicated on this Bicycle Parking Map courtesy of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ.
Sunday – Thursday: 9:30AM – 4:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 9:30AM – 6:00PM
- 4 days immediately following Labour Day
- December 24 & 25
- Food & Beverages
Snacks and beverages are available for purchase at Shop and the Beanstalk coffee bar. You are also welcome to bring your own snacks, but as a courtesy to visitors with allergies, please do not bring products that contain nuts. We ask that all food and beverages be enjoyed in the designated eating area. For full meals, there are several restaurants located on site at The Forks. For a complete listing of all services available at The Forks, please view a map of The Forks here.
- Special Services, Explore-Abilities Resources & Guest Amenities
- Stroller and wheelchair rentals (refundable deposit required)
- Explore-Abilities resources including: sunglasses, fidget toys, and ear defenders as well as access to a designated quiet zone apart from museum galleries (available upon request)
- Change tables located in men’s, women’s and family washrooms
- Family washroom
- Private nursing room with change table
- Storage lockers ($1 non-refundable)
- AA batteries, gift wrap, birthday candles, and greeting cards (available for purchase in Shop)
- Other Nearby Locations & Services
For a complete listing of all services available at The Forks, please view a map of The Forks here.