On display from May 11 – September 2, 2019 at the Children’s Museum
This summer, experience TapeScape – a unique play environment and creative art installation!
Custom-designed by artist Eric Lennartson, TapeScape is an interactive indoor landscape made entirely out of plastic wrap and packing tape stretched over a huge metal frame. Strong enough to handle hundreds of energetic kids every day, the smooth and springy surfaces will curve and twist with your movements. Exploring this unusual and unpredictable environment is sure to spark kids’ creative learning!
Local support provided by
15 Fun Facts About TapeScape
1. TapeScape is a unique art installation and an immersive indoor landscape that will be on display at the Children’s Museum from Saturday, May 11 to Monday, September 2, 2019.
2. Internationally-known, TapeScape has been presented at children’s museums, science centres, and art galleries around the world from Brooklyn to Dubai and 16 other destinations in between! See the full tour list at tapescape.ca.
3. Made entirely out of plastic wrap and packing tape stretched over huge metal scaffolding frames, TapeScape prompts guests to rethink space and to develop and practice spatial awareness.
4. The concept for TapeScape’s improvisational design and composition originated from American exhibit designer, Eric Lennartson, who used his training and experience in architecture and design to produce the light, elegant, and unashamedly plastic learning environment.
5. Presented at the Children’s Museum in 2014, this year’s TapeScape exhibition will incorporate brand new elements like an architectural slide feature as well as technology enhancements like sound-responsive lighting.
6. TapeScape takes “making” to a whole new level. This year’s exhibition will be custom-made by exhibit designer Eric Lennartson, museum staff, and a team of volunteers from our community during the week of May 6-10, 2019.
7. The general public will be able to collaborate with artist Eric Lennartson and our design team to create TotScape, a smaller version of the TapeScape exhibition exclusively intended for toddlers, from March 25-27, 2019 during our Spring Break Line-Up.
8. The 2014 TapeScape exhibition at the Children’s Museum took approximately 300 hours to construct, and nearly 100 hours of upkeep to maintain during the course of its 4-month display.
9. The Children’s Museum will be presenting a wide range of programming and activities related to TapeScape, including School Programs, Spring & Summer Day Camps, Birthday Parties, exclusive Members Events, special summer crafts and activities, and more!
10. An anticipated 50,000+ visitors will experience TapeScape while it’s on display at the Children’s Museum this year.
11. With consideration for our environmental impact, we will intentionally be repurposing and recycling parts of TapeScape by stocking pieces of the building materials in Pop m’Art, a gallery where kids “shop” for recycled supplies to create new works of art.
12. This year’s exhibition of TapeScape at the Children’s Museum is sponsored by Johnston Group and supported by Steinbach Credit Union, Toromont CAT, NorthStar Scaffold, Inn At The Forks, Global Television, and Prairie Public.
13. TapeScape is an a-maze-ing feat of engineering. It features 3D tunnel suspension bridges that are even more geometrically complex than structures like the Esplanade Riel and the Golden Gate Bridge. With all its interconnected bridges, TapeScape forms an elaborate maze of tunnels for guests to explore.
14. Science, technology, engineering, art, math – or other sticky business? Featuring cutting-edge interactive technologies and design elements, this incredible environment is really picking up STEAM (see what we did there?). TapeScape supports Math, Science, and Music provincial learning outcomes, as well as Physical, Spiritual, and Intellectual early childhood development goals.
15. The 2014 TapeScape exhibition required about 300 rolls – or nearly 33,000 feet! – of tape to create. That’s the same distance that 660 of the train engines found in our Engine House gallery would span all lined up on the tracks!
Related Special Events & Programming
Please choose one of the following events or programs to learn more:
TapeScape Spring Break Day Camp
Dates: March 25 – 29, 2019
- TapeScape Members Night Preview
Date: May 10, 2019
- TapeScape Grand Opening
Date: May 11, 2019
- TapeScape School Programs
(for Grades N – 5)
Dates: May 11 – June 28, 2019
- TapeScape Birthday Parties
Dates: May 11 – September 2, 2019
- TapeScape Summer Day Camps
Dates: July 2 – August 30, 2019
- TapeScape Summer Programming
Dates: July 1 – September 2, 2019
Adhesive Architects, gather round! Join us this summer for a variety of crafts and activities themed around our special summer exhibition, TapeScape! Summer Programming is available from 11:00AM – 3:00PM every day all summer long
- Hours of Operation
- Rates & Membership
- Events Calendar
- Permanent Galleries
- Travelling Exhibitions