- This event has passed.
December 14, 2019 @ 8:00 AM - 9:25 AM
Explore-Abilities Morning: A Sensory-Friendly Museum Event
Date: Saturday, December 14, 2019
Time: 8:00AM – 9:25AM
Location: Children’s Museum, 45 Forks Market Road
Part of our Explore-Abilities Access Program, join us on Saturday, December 14, 2019 for an Explore-Abilities Morning – a sensory-friendly museum experience designed for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and sensory processing differences to have fun and enjoy interactive, hands-on learning in a safe and accessible facility!
Developed in conjunction with experts from Autism Learning Centre, Autism Manitoba, and On The Spectrum Therapy Services, this event features:
- Light and sound reductions in museum galleries
- Extra visual signage for safety
- A less crowded environment
- Designated quiet zones apart from the galleries
- Specialized equipment (i.e., UbiDuo 2-Way Communication Device, sunglasses, ear defenders, fidget toys, and Braille Visitor Information Brochures in English and French) available upon request
- Specially trained staff to complement your museum experience
In this very special Explore-Abilities Morning, experience the magic of the Eaton’s Fairytale Vignettes, and take a photo on your personal camera with our specially trained Sensitive Santa! This opportunity is available first come first served.
Note: The Children’s Museum opens to the general public at 9:30AM. Visitors are welcome to stay after this time, however lights, sounds, signage, and other Explore-Abilities elements/accommodations will return to regular operating levels at 9:30AM. Registration is required for this event. Space is limited and available on a first come, first serve basis.
Special Event Notice
MEDIA WILL BE PRESENT AT THIS EVENT
Based on participant feedback, the Children’s Museum is currently developing video versions of our social narrative. Please be advised that a contracted crew will be onsite during this event to collect background footage for use in these videos. Consent is not required to attend the event, however we kindly ask that you avoid the video team during the event should you wish to not be filmed.
How To Register
-Event Registration Full-
Explore-Abilities Access Program Supporters
The 2019 Explore-Abilities Access Program was made possible by the following supporters:
- The Bertram Austin Goodman, May Easton McLaren Goodman, and Dorothy Jean Goodman Foundation