ALL ABOARD: WE’RE GATHERING STEAM
This week’s area of focus is SCIENCE, let’s discover how chromatography works.
- Two jars filled halfway with water
- Washable markers
- Paper towel/napkin
- Fold over a piece of paper towel (so you have 2 pieces on top of each other). Trim off 2-3 inches at the end.
- Colour two-inch rectangles of each colour on each end of the paper towel.
- Fill two glasses halfway with water and place them side by side.
- Place the paper towel in the cups, one in each and watch your rainbow grow!
This science experiment is a great example of chromatography. Chromatography can separate chemicals, the water lifts the washable marker dye with it up the paper towel.