ALL ABOARD: WE’RE GATHERING STEAM
By gabrielle | Published: January 4, 2023
It’s 2023 and we’re celebrating the new year all month in our STEAM posts. This week’s area of focus is ENGINEERING. For the New Year, we are creating do-it-yourself party poppers!
- Leftover wrapping paper
- Paper straw
- Elastic band
- Measure and cut out 2”x 8” strips of wrapping paper.
- Fold your strips, on both ends, lengthwise so they meet in the middle.
- Tape the strip down the middle and at the top, but leave the bottom open.
- Roll your paper up tightly and secure it with an elastic band. Let it sit for a few hours so it forms the rolled-up shape.
- Cut your straw in half.
- Take the elastic band off the paper and insert your straw about one inch into the end that was left open.
- Fold down the sides of the paper and tape them together to secure the straw.
- Try it out!
Children will learn about how to construct their own party blower and the engineering behind them as they test it out to celebrate the New Year!
Source: Happy Healthy Farm
This entry was posted in At-home Learning Resources, M's Blog and tagged Creative learning, engineering, new year activity, new year craft, STEAM, STEAM resources. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.