ALL ABOARD: WE’RE GATHERING STEAM
This week’s area of focus is SCIENCE, we will make snow dough and discover the properties of oil and what happens when it’s mixed with cornstarch.
You’ll need the following:
- 2 cups cornstarch
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Glitter (optional)
- Mixing spoon
- Snow accessories
- Measure out 2 cups of cornstarch and pour it into a container
- Measure out ½ cup of vegetable oil and add it to the cornstarch
- Add in the optional glitter to make your snow sparkle
- Mix until the consistency resembles flaky snow that can stick together
- Place snow dough in a bin and add in accessories to manipulate the dough (scoops, snowman accessories, penguins, bears, trees etc.)
Children can start to learn about scientific terms such as properties, variables, constants, and viscosity. Ask them questions like, “how does the liquid move?” “what does it look like, smell like?” Discussing these terms will help prepare your child for the world of Science, and it’s fun too!