STAINED GLASS MITTEN CRAFT
When it’s cold out, add some homemade mitten decorations to your window and let the winter sunshine in!
- Three or more colours of tissue paper, all cut into 1-inch squares
- Two black construction paper mitten frames for each child (you can find a free template here)
- Two 12″ x 18″ sheets of clear contact paper per child
- String and clothespins or a hole punch, or tape, for displaying the mittens
Before the kids sit down to work on the craft, prep by peeling the contact paper and place a sheet, sticky side up, on each child’s workspace. Place two mitten frames beside each other on the sticky paper, and add a couple of black construction paper stripes for cuffs on each mitten, if you like.
- Start adding tissue paper squares to fill in your mittens. Try keeping the colors separate so it looks more like stained glass, or try mixing them all together to get a mosaic effect. Let the tissue paper pieces overlap as much or as little as you want.
- Once the mitten shapes are filled with colourful squares, add the second sheet of contact paper sticky side down to seal in all the colourful tissue.
- Trim the excess contact paper from each mitten.
- Display the mittens in your window using string and clothespins or a hole punch, or just use tape. Place them in a window that gets lots of light!