ALL ABOARD: WE’RE GATHERING STEAM
Today’s STEAM activity teaches kids about crystal formation with seasonal pumpkin-shaped crystals.
- Orange pipe cleaners
- Pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter
- Twine, string or ribbon
- Popsicle stick
- Bend the pipe cleaner around the cookie cutter so it forms the shape of a pumpkin and then twist the ends together.
- Tie a piece of string, ribbon, or twine to the pumpkin.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 cup of Borax in the boiling water. Stir until the Borax dissolves. (If it’s not fully dissolved, the crystals won’t form as well.)
- Hang the pumpkin shape in a jar by securing the loose end of the string to a popsicle stick and resting the popsicle stick on the jar rim.
- Pour the water and Borax mixture into the jar, making sure the pipe cleaner pumpkin is fully submerged.
- Watch the crystals grow over the next couple of days.
As the crystals begin to grow, document what you see! Take pictures and write down how the pipe cleaners change in appearance.
This activity supports the development of the following STEAM skills:
- Observing, documenting, and analysing the crystal formation process