ALL ABOARD: WE’RE GATHERING STEAM!
Combining math with art can be so much fun! Today we will be drawing flowers with math.
- Graph paper
- Couple your pencil with the compass
- Choose a starting point on the graph paper, preferably near the middle of the graph paper
- Place the tip of your compass at an intersection (where four lines meet on the grid) and draw a circle. Adjust your compass so that four squares fit within it
- Use the squares on the graph paper as a guide to keep all your circles at the same size
- To draw the next circle, place the tip of your compass three squares away from the first center point
- Draw another circle. This will overlap with the first circle
- Repeat the same process to the left, top, and bottom of the first circle
- Continue the same process for each new circle until the graph paper is filled up
- Follow the pattern created by the sections of the circles that overlap and colour them in groups of four to look like flower petals
It’s okay to make mistakes and erase! As you draw these overlapping circles, you will see the flower petal patterns emerge.
This activity supports the development of the following STEAM skills:
- Learning compass use
- Shapes and pattern forming
- Drawing with precision
- Counting, measuring, and sorting
- Creative expression using colours