EMBOSSED ALUMINIUM ART
Calling all artists! Expand your horizons and create your own unique masterpiece as you draw, glue, cut, and press to create your own embossed aluminium art!
- Aluminium Foil
- Cut your piece of cardboard to the desired size to create your canvas
- Choose what you would like to draw! Let your creativity run wild or see our suggestions below for ideas on what to draw to support learning outcomes from Kindergarten to Grade 5!
- Draw your desired image on your cardboard
- Grab some yarn and some white glue. Working in small sections, begin to trace your drawing with white glue. As you go, cut off pieces of yarn, and lay them over the glue. Continue until you have traced all of your lines with glue and yarn.
- Leave your image to dry
- Once it is dry, fill in all the uncovered spaces on your cardboard with white glue
- Tear off a piece of aluminium foil. Lay it overtop of your cardboard/wrap it around the edges of the cardboard. Apply pressure so the aluminium foil sticks to the glue on the cardboard. Be careful not to tear the aluminium foil as you apply pressure.
- With the aluminium foil applied, you should now see ridges where it is pressed overtop of the yarn – creating a unique, 3-dimensional look for your art!
- Display your masterpiece somewhere for everyone to see!
How does this spark creative learning?
Tall or tiny, you can create terrific trees that are sure to impress! Discuss the different parts of a tree that are represented in your image. How would your tree look different throughout the changing seasons?
Practice distinguishing between things we want and things we need as you immortalize the image of something humans need to survive!
Baby bears versus great big bears – how do they change? Explore the life cycle of an animal as you identify the changes that occur as they grow and develop. Create two images – one of your chosen animal as a baby, and one as an adult – and see how they compare!
What solid structures have you seen? Design an image of a structure which can withstand any storm! What kinds of shapes and forms are present in your structure? How do these help make it nice and strong?
Create a lasting image of a perfect habitat! Choose your favourite animal and think about what it needs to survive. Create the image of a habitat which incorporates all those elements.
Running, swimming, biking or skating – what makes them all possible? Choose one of the major systems in the human body and design an image showing the different parts of that system. How does this system help work together with other systems to allow you to complete all your favourite activities?
Stay tuned for more resources to help spark kids’ creative learning!
Your support of the Children’s Museum is more important than ever during these difficult times. If you are able, please consider making a donation today.