FEATURE FRIDAY: COOKING WITH KIDS
With strong curriculum connections to math and science, there has never been a better time to teach your children some basic cooking skills. We have put together some tips for cooking with your little ones and collected some recipes that are sure to be a hit for the whole family.
Tips for cooking with kids:
- Cooking with children requires patience – make sure you set enough time aside. Let them ask their questions and be sure to not rush them through anything. You will also have a much larger mess to clean up than usual, so remember to set aside some time at the end for clean-up!
- Let them pick the recipe! Kids will be more excited to cook with you if they get to personally choose what you make.
- Get them excited by dressing them up in an apron or chef hat. You can even assign them their own cooking utensils!
- Keep them engaged by making sure they always have a task, no matter how small it may seem. Kids make great prep cooks so let them rip up the lettuce or whisk the sauce.
- When it comes down to it, safety is the most important thing. Let them explore the kitchen, but start small and allow them to work their way up.
AllRecipes has hundreds of recipes that are kid-friendly and complete with video and written instructions. Some of our favourites are Mac and Cheese in a Cheese Waffle Cone, Inside Out Pizza, and Green Slime Smoothie.
For a French-spoken recipe, watch Ricardo Cuisine on Facebook as he bakes a giant cookie with a variety of toppings and then recreate your very own giant cookie at home.
Stay tuned for more resources to help spark kids’ creative learning!
Your support of the Children’s Museum is more important than ever during these difficult times. If you are able, please consider making a donation today.