Warmer weather means melting snow…and lots of muddy puddles to play in! Bring the fun indoors with this (not-so) messy, mini muddy activity!
I Spy in My Mini Mud Pie
Create your own (tightly sealed!) pile of fake mud, and explore the wonders hidden within!
- Plain sheet of paper
- Large Ziploc bag
- Brown Paint
- Using a pencil, pencil crayons, crayons, or markers, scatter the numbers 1 through 10 on your paper
- Add brown paint and a little bit of water to a Ziploc bag to create your “mud”. Make sure to seal the bag, and squeeze out the excess air! Mix the paint and water around so that your “mud” is spread throughout the bag
- Place the piece of paper on a flat surface, and lay the Ziploc bag overtop of it. Use the tape to attach the Ziploc bag to the surface so it rests securely over the piece of paper
- Invite your little one to use their hands or fingers to move the “mud” around in the bag. As they move the mud around, what are they able to uncover?
- Say the numbers together as you uncover them! Raise up the correct number of fingers to represent each one, and encourage your child to do the same!
Keep the fun and learning going! Can you…
- Find the number that shows how old you are?
- Find a number that is a specific colour?
- Uncover all the numbers at once?
- Find the numbers in order?
If numbers aren’t your thing…
- You can hide just about anything in the mud! Faces showing different emotions, splashes of colour, or letters! It’s up to you!
Essential Learning Experiences
- Sensory development allows children to make sense of the information being received by their senses. It includes touch, taste, smell, sight, and sound. This activity invites children to engage in a new sensory experience by manipulating the “mud” within the bag, and describing how it feels!
- Numeracy is the ability to understand and work with numbers. Early numeracy skills can include number recognition, counting, sorting, exploring patterns, and more! This activity helps to support the development of early numeracy by allowing children to uncover and practice recognizing the numbers hiding beneath the “mud”!
Stay tuned for more resources to spark kids’ creative learning!
Your support of the Children’s Museum is more important than ever during these difficult times. If you are able, please consider making a donation today.